2 hours ago
Friday, November 6, 2009
I'm getting a dragon fruit!!!
As you all know, my newest obsession is the dragon fruit (see my earlier posts). I've been putting it out to the universe now for two weeks that I want to be able to obtain some here in Brisbane - and guess what?! I've purchased two cuttings (one for red flesh (which I've never seen before) and one for regular dragon fruit), and they are on their way to me as I type!!! I can't believe I'm gonna have my own trees!! Such an exciting day for me :-)
If you are wanting more info on where to buy, click here!
Here's the beautiful flower
The flower bud
and the tree .... I hope mine looks like this soon!
Here's a few interesting facts about this unusual fruit:
* The plant originated in South America and the French bought it to Vietnam (where it's now one of their biggest export products)
* They are a member of the cactus family, so they need far less water and fertiliser than most crops. The stems can grow up to 7m!
* In Australia, the flowers will begin in October, going through til May - but when they flower its only open for 1 night. The flowers are 30cm long.
* The fruit is ready approx 40 days after flowering.
* They are full of Vitamin C - Yay!!
I will keep you updated with their progress! Have a great weekend all :-)